January 30, 2009

Yipes! Stripes!

(with apologies to both Fruit Stripe gum and Biscuits and Jam)

Schondy and I were out walking the dog a couple weeks ago and there was a woman also out walking. We got stopped at an intersection, where I noticed the scarf she was wearing. It was fascinating - it started out with just flat stripes on the ends, done in several colors, and then gradually switched so it was these really deep zigzag chevrons. So as soon as I got home, I started poking around online to see if I could find a pattern for something like that.

A couple hours and many, many fruitless searches later, I gave up. But in my searching, I ran across some other websites I'd seen before, including Biscuits and Jam, where you can select a set of colors and stripe widths and then get back a randomly generated list of colors. This comes in really handy for those of us who knit and need some inspiration on how wide to make stripes.

Well, I poked at it for a little while, but discovered there were a few little things I wanted it to do that it just wouldn't do. I tried cracking her website open to get at the code (I assume it's a woman, but I suppose I really don't know), but decided I just didn't feel right stealing her hard work, and thought that I could write something that would do what I wanted without using someone else's work.

So, I wrote my own. Presenting: The Peanut Gallery's very own Random Stripe Generator. I suppose if you're not a knitter or otherwise crafty person, this holds very little interest for you. But for me? I could sit there, hitting "Randomize All" all day and not get bored. And if you find one you really like - a color combo that just really works for you and you'd like to share it - grab the color list and email it to me. If you suggest a name for the color set, I'll put it in the dropdown so you (and everyone else) can get back to it.

Oh, and in case you were wondering - yes, the header really does regenerate randomly every time you load the page. :-) Because I could.

January 10, 2009

Check Us Out!

Check out the pretty pictures!

Sometimes the randomest pictures on the whole trip are some of the best. We weren't too tired or too sick or squinting into the sun or anything, so this picture is probably one of my favorites. If we could cut out the silly mariachi man, I'm sure it would be even better. :-)

Later in the same day, we did a dune buggy tour of Progreso to some Mayan ruins, where the tour guides grabbed this shot of the two of us with my brother. They, of course, wanted a stupid amount of money for the picture, but I loved it, so I went ahead and got it. The original is a little blurry from the cheap printing, but I like it anyway.

We got a great group shot of the entire family, but Schondy and I wanted some pictures of just the two of us because things have changed a bit since our last formal cruise photos. So here's the one of both of us. The photographer was quite a character, but you have to admit that he did a beautiful job, no matter how nutty he was.

I made sure to tell the photographer to back up enough to get the shoes.

Well, internets, what do you think? Do I look better?... Why, yes, I AM fishing for compliments. I think I've earned them. :-)

November 20, 2008

The Nerd Test

Well, I'm not sure what it means to be an Uber Cool High Nerd. They didn't tell me if that was a good thing or a bad thing or... what. But, um, yeah. says I'm an Uber Cool High Nerd.  What are you?  Click here!

I have about a thousand ideas for good posts, but I have been up to my eyeballs in crazy for the last month. A real post is coming... I promise.

July 1, 2008

Look, Ma! No love handles!

Check it out! Schondy and I took Lulu to the beach!

So Schondy has had something of a job change, and it has meant a lot more time for him spent down south of home, in Scott's Valley. The new office just happens to be nice and close to Santa Cruz - one of the many beautiful little ocean-side towns in this area. This week, Schondy and I are both on vacation, but he had to go into the office on Monday for a meeting. So Lulu and I went with him. And when the meeting was over, Schondy, Lulu and I went to Seabright Beach in Santa Cruz.

Schondy took lots of pictures. He took lots of pictures of me. This was a good thing because it means I now have proof that: 1. I'm not trying to hide anything, 2. I've now lost 42 lbs., 3. I need a tan and 4. Lulu is still adorable.

Up on the sidewalk
:-) I like the lighting on this one.
Diggin' in the sand
Just me... and the ocean
In the shadow of the lighthouse
The baffles are biiiiiiig.

June 27, 2008

No, I'm not hiding anything.

Okay, so a little birdie told me that my lack of blog entries and the lack of pictures has prompted some people to assume that I'm hiding something. I assure you, that couldn't be farther from the truth.

I am busy, people. Seriously, crazily busy. I've been pulling 10-hour work days, only to go home and cozy up with my laptop and a cup of coffee and continue working - sometimes past midnight. Every day, I think about how I should post pictures of myself or put up a quick note about some of the interesting things I've been doing on the weekends. But the truth is, my brain is full.

But in a nutshell, here's what's been going on:
Last weekend, Schondy and I went with Sapphire and Xippi's younger brother to the Warped Tour in San Francisco, where we all (minus mini-Xippi) felt very old and uncool. Happily, we did get to hear some killer new music from Katy Perry and I got to introduce the peeps to Japanese Ska! I was introduced to the happiness that is ORESKABAND while at SXSW last year and loved it.

Last week at work, I was afforded the incredible honor of being voted the "Unsung Hero" of my team. It's a big team - about 600 people, so this was an amazing thing to win. So. Nothing major here, but it sure made my day.

Several weeks ago, Sapphire and I went to see a college production of "Hair", which was... interesting. We sat in the first row, which was WAAAAAY too close for anyone's comfort. If you know anything about the show, you know what I'm talking about. :-)

And I've just been generally crazy in my usual generally-crazy way.

So if you've felt neglected or anything, I apologize. That was not my intent. If you've been suspicious of the lack of pictures, I assure you, there's nothing juicy or scandalous here (unless you count the number of hours Schondy and I each work). If you've been worried about me, thank you, but I'm fine. If you've just wondered what was going on, well, not a lot and a whole lot all at the same time.

And in case you were wondering, last night at class, the official weigh-in revealed I've lost over 40 pounds. :-)

May 7, 2008

Getting off the couch.

This is an email I sent to my parents, who are currently cruising to Europe and can communicate pretty much only through emails and websites. We tried Skype, but... not so much. So I'm reposting here for the rest of the world to see. (Mildly edited, of course)

This week's weigh-in went well. I've lost another pound for a total of 26!! Holy cow! Another 28 to go before I reach my "realistic" goal. 53 more to reach my "optimistic" goal. Either way, I feel a million times better.

One of my best friends was in town this week for a thing in San Francisco and she came by the house for a few hours tonight (Wednesday). We had a great time catching up a little. It had been months since we had time to talk. I had the opportunity to go to a concert instead of hanging out with her, but gave the tickets to someone else, who seemed to appreciate the tickets and to have really enjoyed the show.

Next week on Thursday is Bike to Work Day in the Silicon Valley, and I think I'm going to do that. A friend is going to come meet me here at the house and we're going to ride together. Turns out if we take the right route, it's only about 7 miles, which is easy to do in less than an hour. I'll have to get my bike serviced, so I think Schondy and I are going to try to get that done this weekend. I'm really trying to get into this working out thing because it's the only thing that's going to make me look better in a bathing suit this summer. There's also a 1.2 mile walk at work on Friday that I think we're going to do. 1.2 miles is no big deal, but the other option is a 3.1 mile run, and I'm not much of a runner - at least not yet - so walking, it is.

I'm in the process of easing myself back into vegetables after almost 3 months of meal replacements only. Have really, really enjoyed eating cans of green beans each night for dinner. Never thought I'd be so happy to each a green bean in all my life. We're going to go to the store at some point and I'm now allowed to have apples, pears and bananas, which I'm so excited for, I can't even describe. My baked potato this weekend was positively divine (no butter, no cheese, no nothing except for one of my entrees and a little salt) and even my plate of carrots tasted like a dream - and I HATE carrots!!

So there you go. The theme of my life right now is to repair all the damage I've done to my body over the last XX years and blow you all away with how amazing I look when you next see me. For some of you, that won't be until at least the fall, so I have plenty of time to work on it. For the ones I'll see tomorrow, just remember - I'm a work in progress.

April 28, 2008

Super Diet Revealed!!

If you're looking for a post with lots of funny and laughs and giggles, this ain't it. If that's what you need, I highly recommend you go here. Otherwise, here's the story of my diet.

So at this point, you probably know that I've been on this crazy diet. And I haven't really talked about it, which I know has probably left you wondering what's up. I've been a little hesitant to talk about it - partly because of my own fears that it wouldn't work and partly because I didn't really have any pictures to prove that it's working. It's been a very interesting process of losing weight - and for those of you keeping score, I've lost 23 pounds in the last 9 weeks.

As a clothing maker - sewing, knitting, crocheting, whatever - I tend to spend a lot of time studying the shape of clothing, especially tops. And as a... fluffy... woman pretty much my entire life, it's generally been highly frustrating to look at patterns. Women (according to clothing makers and pattern designers) have a very characteristic shape - wider on top, two humps between the shoulders (preferably in front and of a reasonably manageable size), narrow in the middle, same width on bottom as on top, and then legs of a reasonably manageable, uniform circumference.

Would the woman who actually IS this shape please stand up? I have some very strong words for you on behalf of NORMAL women everywhere.


I lost a bunch of weight several years ago when I became vegetarian... and then I re-learned how to cook. 5 years ago, when I became veggie, I ate primarily vegetables in various forms - salads, roasted veggies, stir fry - that were pretty good, but not what I grew up on. But, THEN! I discovered that all the foods I loved as a kid - grilled cheese sandwiches, green bean casserole, stroganoff - are either already vegetarian or could be made so. Oh, happy day! And 5 years later, well, here I am. So back in the middle of December, I decided that I'd had enough.

I went to my doctor for... probably a regular checkup. I really don't remember why I was there. But as I was sitting there, I asked the doctor about losing weight. She was so excited that asked! She handed me a bunch of brochures and said it was up to me. So in January, I called and made the appointment to go to an orientation. And 3 months later, here I am.

For the last 9 weeks, I've eaten nothing but powdered milkshakes, pre-packaged meals and snack bars. I've had about a thousand gallons of coffee (one of the few vices still allowed), and I've taken to drinking a cup of vegetable broth (bullion dissolved in water) every evening before I go to bed. It's been both harder and easier than I expected. Funny thing about a very absolute diet. When there's no question about whether or not something is allowed (whatever it is, the answer is probably NO), it's easy to know what to eat. There have been folks in the class that have cheated on the diet (some a lot and others just a little), but for whatever reason, I haven't. I'm very proud of that, but also very surprised. I never expected this to work. And I still don't believe it most of the time. I have real trouble believing that this is going to last.

But for now, I'm wearing clothes that are smaller than I've worn in 10 years. I'm eating about 1200 calories a day, and walking 3-8 miles a day. I start this week working with a friend who has some personal training tendencies, who promises me that things will only get better. We'll see how long this lasts.

And now, pictures.

Schondy posted a few pics several weeks ago that did show me when I'd lost a few pounds, but since then, I've had a hard time convincing him to take more pictures. So today, as I walked in the door from work, I was on the phone with Mom, who was in the process of fussing at me for not posting pictures. Her timing was impeccable since Schondy just happened to be sitting at the kitchen table, right inside the door as she was fussing at me. So I handed the phone to him to let my Mom explain things. And right after he got off the phone, we walked out in the backyard, where he took these pictures... Lulu helped.

There were, of course, quite a few of these pictures, but I tried to pull out the best ones. You can see that I still have a long way to go, and that I REALLY need a tan, but it's not the quality of my skin we're interested in, here. :-) And anyway, I have plans to rectify that particular problem later.

So thanks to my picture-taking hubby, there now exists photographic evidence that I have been working my fanny off (HA!) on this diet and the results are becoming obvious. Hopefully things will continue to improve, but I've got at least 4 more weeks of the status quo, and untold more weeks of variations on this theme. Wish me luck!

April 2, 2008

See? I can do pictures too!

So tonight, we both got home before it was dark. This NEVER HAPPENS. But today it did. And in the interest of... well, of getting out of the house, we went on a walk. It was raining a little, but not enough to send us home, so we walked along the nature trail with Lulu, and then we wandered through downtown to see which of the coffee shops were open. Interestingly enough, only the Red Rock was open, which is the one we rarely visit. It's a great shop, but when we first started visiting coffee shops here, it had very little seating and was always just too crowded. They've now opened an upstairs area that's very nice and holds tons of people, so they've solved the indoor seating problem. But since we had Lulu with us, we had to stay outside. Luckily, it's beginning to warm up enough that sitting outside isn't so terrible, and by the time we got there, the rain had stopped.

So we were hanging out on the sidewalk, and by the time we made it to the coffee shop, we'd walked 2.5 miles and it had gotten dark. I was sitting there drinking my coffee and realized the interesting lighting that was going on behind Schondy and Lulu. So I pulled out my iPhone and started taking pictures. I'm not going to say that they're great or anything, but they're the kind of thing I usually like taking pictures of (read: people and critters I love), and I thought the pictures were not terrible. I loved the way the iPhone blurred out all the lights and was just generally grainy. I actually really like that look (these are complete unmodified from the originals).

Lulu was being only moderately cooperative - she was way more interested in climbing up on the table to lick my face, my hands or my coffee cup - but even at her most fractious she still looks adorable in pretty much every picture. The worst part was that we were sitting right next to a busy intersection and the headlights virtually obliterated most of the pictures I took. There were tons of these, but only a few of them are recognizable as anything because I managed to block out the majority of the headlights.


I just had to post these to prove that there's more than one artist in the house. :-) (Sorry hon - you know I think you're brilliant.)

January 2, 2008

She's Crafty! (a.k.a. I got a new toy for Christmas)

Well, I have officially returned to the land of the worker, where I'm busily doing... stuff. But for the last couple weeks, I've been home, happily doing... nothing much. This over-abundance of time for doing nothing much allowed me to spend some quality time with a couple long-time residents of the house, and to welcome a new toy to my crafting room: The Baby Lock Emore Embroidery Machine. Say it with me, now, "Oooooh, Ahhhhhh, Ohhhhhh."

So, me, my Sewing Machine, my Serger and my Embroidery Machine (makes me all happy just to think about it) all sequestered ourselves in the sewing room for a whole day during the break, determined to emerge with something that really showed the world how talented we are and how well we all work together.

And we emerged with this:

Now, I'm not so thrilled with the full-body picture - it constitutes pictorial proof (as if I needed it) that I really need to get on a treadmill. But it shows the full glory of what I made: a skirt from an old pair of blue jeans! :-) I know what you're saying: they've been around forever and it's so funny that I'm excited about this and blah, blah, blah. I like it and it's by far the most comfortable skirt I've ever owned, most likely because it was made from some of the most comfortable jeans I've ever owned.

How does this tie in with my wonderful new embroidery machine, you ask? Well, peep the close-ups:

See? Nifty little flowers and designs. :-) I'm calling the style "Boho Victorian" for when I wear it with my purple corduroy jacket and the beeee-autiful Steam Punk necklace Schondy got me for Christmas.

August 9, 2007

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Holy cow! I have had a WEEK, let me tell you. It's been two weeks since I last posted, but it seriously feels like it's been a year. And here's why:

So I'll start with last Wednesday, July 31, when I took my car in to have it serviced. That wasn't any big deal, but it is a hy-uge disruption to my day, mostly because I had to be there at 9 to drop my car off, and there was this GUY. Older man. Probably very nice. But this particular day.... not so nice. And I unwittingly incurred his wrath when I was helped TWICE! Twice, I tell you! while the nice people at the dealership were trying to figure out what the devil he was trying to do. I don't think they were trying to hurt his feelings, but he was highly wounded. Basically, when I showed up, I waited patiently in line for the Service Rep to help me. And she did. Little did I know (found this out a little while later) that she was supposed to be helping him with... something. ANYway, how was I supposed to know this? I know not.

So, then, after I got all set up, I wandered into the sitting area with the hideously bad TV shows. I think this time it was Maury and he was talking to this couple where he got her pregnant when he was 18 and she was 14, but then they got married, but he still had to register as a sex offender and now they have a second baby and the wife is JUST NOW 18. But I digress. So I'm chillin', waiting for a ride to work, when this very nice older man sits down next to me and, despite my obvious interest in reading my book and being highly antisocial, insists on making comments about the people on Maury to me. Well.

Then they call him up to the desk and tell him that, yes, they'll take him to pick up his fiance, but they're going to have to take these other two nice people (me and another guy) to work first. Clearly something got lost in the translation there, but I didn't realize it until later. So we all piled into the van and the driver asked us where we were headed and I told him and he said, "oh, that's really close, I'll drop you off first." Well. Big mistake. HUGE. Because Mr. Previously-Very-Nice Man was under the impression that he was going to go get his fiance and take her back to the dealership first BEFORE me and the other guy went to work. And don't you know his fiance (Filangela or something) has worked there for 26 years and she can't just leave any time she wants and it's going to be hard to get there and it was right next to the dealership and in the time it's taken to drop this young lady (me) off, we could have been on our way and "I has the diabetus and my diabetics is acting up and don't you know I need medication!?!?". All. The. Way. To. Work. Bless the very nice driver who dropped me off first.

SO. Then there was the annoying part of having to pick up may car, but that was another whole fiasco because they're only open until 5:30, and I'm just getting going at work at 5:30, but that meant I had to leave work by 5, but that meant finding someone to take me to pick up my car. AND they hadn't called me to tell me my car was done, but I decided I needed my car, dammit, so I showed up at 5:30 and waited for someone to either hand me my keys or explain to me why a routine oil change took more than 8 hours. Thankfully, they handed me my keys.

And I think Wednesday was the day I finished my first sweater-type knitted thing. I've done socks, I've done scarves out the wazoo, I've done hats and dog sweaters and... well, all little things. So this was quite an accomplishment. I was quite pleased with myself. I hope to take pictures at some point and when I do, I'll tell you all about the project.

Thursday and Friday were both fairly calm and nothing remarkable happened, which was nice. :-) But on Friday, I was offered a pairs of tickets to see Rufus Wainwright, who just happens to be my favorite singer EVER, on Saturday night. Of course, I said yes. But first I had to make it through the rest of Friday (went to dinner with Schondy) and Saturday morning (obedience school with Lulu) and Saturday afternoon, until we left at 5:30 to drive up with the Mountain Winery to see the show. I don't have the pictures of the show on my laptop or I'd post them. I'll try to put them up later, but interestingly (and annoyingly), the best picture I have is from my iPhone (for Pete's sake!) of the opening act, A Fine Frenzy, who I also happen to adore. I wasn't supposed to have a camera at all, but I smuggled in my little Canon camera, too. I'm such a rebel. So I have a video of the encore. It was quite the spectacle.

The winery was beautiful and Schondy and I would both really like to go back sometime when we're actually allowed to have cameras so he can get some shots of... well... everything.

On Sunday, again it was kind of quiet, except that we HAD TO clean up the yard. It was in a sorry state because we'd been so busy and crazy. Otherwise, there's not much to tell about Sunday. I did finally figure out how I want to do the sewing/guest room and realized I needed to get cracking with selling our old furniture to make room. I posted my stuff on Craig's List, but as of today, no nibbles. I'm pretty much at the point of "Free! You haul!" if they don't sell. At least I TRIED to make a little money. I did get an email from someone presumably interested in them, but I'm not so sure it was a serious offer. One way or the other, this stuff needs to get out of my house NOW.

On Monday, Schondy's new camera arrived, so I immediately began starring in a photo-documentary. We have pictures of me cooking dinner, watching TV, playing with the dog, sleeping, and just about everything else. Schondy seems to have a knack for this photography thing, and I'm all about encouraging it. I keep thinking about how there are pictures of my parents all throughout their marriage. Or at least there seem to be. And Schondy and I have, like, 5 pictures of the two of us and that just seems sad to me. If we ever decide to have children, I'd like them to know that we haven't always been party poopers or hopelessly outdated.

And that brings us to Tuesday, when the WHOLE WORLD EXPLODED!!!!! Each time Schondy and I have travelled, we've had to make arrangements for the care of our babies while we're gone. Before Lulu, if we were just going to be gone a couple days, we'd leave the cats in the house and just ask someone to drop by once or twice to make sure everything was still standing. If we were gone longer, the cats would go to stay with either the vet or The Neighbors (who are SAINTS for helping us out, and, I would like to mention, OFFER to take the cats. I haven't asked them to do so in ages, and have, in fact, made other arrangements, only to have The Neighbors assure me they LOVE to keep the cats and, hey! Free pet care! Don't have to offer twice.) and it was all good. Now that we have Lulu, it's a tiny bit more complicated, but only because have to get Lulu to the PetsHotel and... making the same arrangements for the cats as what we've always done. See how this works? Cats to vet or friends (the cats don't care where they are, so long as there's occasional snuggles and food and a litter box), and Lulu to PetsHotel.

So apparently we are unusual in this respect that we wish to not inconvenience others with our extremely active and demanding little dog. Because a friend (Jim) at work left for Japan on Wednesday and needed someone to watch his dog while he is gone. And I? I am an idiot. Seriously. Because I said I'd take "Pochi" for a couple days, until I pass him on to the next poor sod for the weekend, who then passes him on to the last person, who keeps him until Jim returns. Now, Pochi is very, very sweet. He's a 7-month-old dachshund-black Lab mix (Yes, you read that right. Work on that visual for a minute.), so he's relatively small - only about 20 pounds - and he definitely has the dachshund face and the long dachshund body and tail. But he also has the black lab hyper-activity, plus the puppy hyper-activity and the DESPERATE NEED for ATTENTION NOW NOW NOW NOW!!!!! And given that he's a slightly larger dog, he needs to run, which, if you've seen our backyard, you know, is not something we can provide space for at home. Lulu = tiny, so it hasn't been a problem for her. She could be quite happy running laps in a baby pool.

But, see, the crazy attention hogging and the lack of running space aren't the biggest problems. The biggest problem is that Pochi is currently being treated for Giardia, which, by the way, is HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS to.... wait for it.... cats, dogs and humans. And it means we're dealing with the most friendly and demanding HAZARDOUS WASTE-PRODUCING dog ever. I think Jim's exact wording was "don't let your own pets get too cozy with him". But did I mention he's part Lab? And friendly? We couldn't keep him from getting cozy with Lulu if we TRIED. So I'm thinking next week after Pochi is gone, I'll be taking Lulu to the vet and asking them for some preventative antibiotics. Happily, Pochi goes on to the next victim tomorrow. It's been nice for Lulu to have a playmate, no doubt, but I won't miss the 6am barking or cleaning of toxic messes. And the cats are SO looking forward to being able to walk around the house again. They've decided Pochi = evil, and I can't say I blame them. CLEARLY he does not have any cat-siblings at home.

The Lulu-playmate thing has been kind of nice, and yesterday, we took Lulu and Pochi to the park and let them run while Schondy practiced working with his camera to get action shots of them being dogs. Some of the pictures he got were really awesome. I'll try to grab some and get them posted here so you can see.

So now it's Thursday. The office is relatively quiet today, which is nice, and I have a ton of work to do, but I'm avoiding it in favor of documenting the last week (holy cow!) while I have the headspace and time to do so. Tomorrow is end-to-end meetings and, come this weekend, I'll be too pooped to lift my arms, let alone type a blog entry. Lulu graduates from obedience school Saturday morning, and I think that's pretty much the end of the line for her schooling. We're talking about sending her to Doggy Day Camp once a week or so after school is over so she can continue to get the social interaction. But I'm definitely going to enjoy having my Saturday mornings back for the sleepin'.

And that's why I've been terrible about calling. Or responding to your emails. I'm very sorry. It doesn't mean I love you any less. It just means I'm tangled up in leashes right now and will get back to you as soon as the dogs stop playing May Pole.

July 31, 2007

Sometimes I take lots of quizzes.

I dunno how accurate it is. What do you think?

Marianne, the right jobs for you would allow you to be Analytical and Creative

As an Analytical type, you don't want to be limited by established rules and regulations. Your inquisitive nature demands that you sometimes question authority. Otherwise, you might not be able to find fresh approaches, or come up with new solutions to a problem. It's not that you act without weighing the pros and cons of a situation — it's more that you're more willing than others to take justifiable risks if they'll further your career success.

You're smart enough to know when you need help and are confident enough in your abilities to ask for it. You understand that sometimes there are no clear right and wrong answers, and that's just fine with you because you tolerate gray areas better than most. In fact, pondering potential outcomes can sometimes be more interesting than coming up with the definitive solution for you.

Your right job doesn't have to be about self-expression, but it needs to be a job you can be proud of.

I apologize in advance for this next one, but if you can't post this kind of stupid stuff on your blog, then why have a blog at all? And if you'd like to test your own IQ, go to Tickle. They're a little annoying because they do make you register, but they have, by far, the best time wasters out there. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Congratulations, Marianne!
Your IQ score is 136

This number is based on a scientific formula that compares how many questions you answered correctly on the Classic IQ Test relative to others.

Your Intellectual Type is Visionary Philosopher. This means you are highly intelligent and have a powerful mix of skills and insight that can be applied in a variety of different ways. Like Plato, your exceptional math and verbal skills make you very adept at explaining things to others — and at anticipating and predicting patterns. And that's just some of what we know about you from your IQ results.

July 21, 2007

I took an inkblot test!!

Marianne, your subconscious mind is driven most by

This means you are full of questions about life, people, and the potential of your future. You spend more time than others envisioning the possibilities of your life — things that others are too afraid to consider.

Your curiosity burns with an almost physical need to know and do more. It's only through new experiences that you feel a greater understanding of yourself or the world — which ultimately is the greatest way for you to feel satisfied.

It is possible that the underlying reason for your drive towards curiosity is a deeply rooted fear of boredom. That means that you are probably more susceptible than others to feel like you're falling into a rut when life slows down into a comfortable routine.

You need to make sure you have stimulation in your life — that makes you feel like you're innovating or being exposed to the ideas and experiences that truly inspire you.

With such a strong orientation towards curiosity, you're also prone to a rebellious quality that shows up when you feel you are just going through the motions, and are unable to really influence the world around you. But interestingly enough, your drive towards novel experiences also indicates an openness others don't have, but wish they did.

Unconsciously, your curiosity presses you to learn more, experience more, and get the most out of life.

Though your unconscious mind is driven most strongly by Curiosity, there is much more to who you are at your core.

January 9, 2007

A good day to be me.

So if you read my previous entry, you know we're getting a puppy. And you know how I said it was going to take a few months before she was ready to come home. Well, this morning, as I was running out the door on the way to work, I thought to check my Voicemail and there was a message. I knew I had tried to call Mom and Dad last night and they didn't answer, so I figured it was them, calling me back.


It was the Dachshund breeder. Apparently she did a trade with another breeder who wants the Ground Hound bloodlines and...... we have a puppy!!!! We're going to pick her up on Saturday!!!! We have a lot of work to do....


She's 8 weeks old, ready to go home, and when I called the breeder back, they were at the vet, getting her shots. She's red with white toes and a white star on her chest. I'm supposed to get a picture today and I'll post.

**UPDATE** 01/11/07 - I have pictures!
Heeeeere she is! We're going Saturday to pick her up. We've still got a lot of work to do.

February 28, 2006


Sometimes I wish you could all see the fun toys I get to play with when making these entries. I have a new toy. It's very cool. Makes new entries very easy. Not that they were hard before.


February 16, 2006

Aaaaand now I have a template

So yesterday, for no apparent reason, I decided I needed to do a blog. Now, I have a busy life. Really. I work 9-10 or more hours a day (contrary to what my mother might believe, given that I don't go to work until 9:30am). I take Highland bagpipe lessons (yes, really). We're in the process of selling our house and moving. All this together means... I don't have a lot of free time. And what I do have, I like to fill with some good quality time with reality TV.

So as the previous entry so..... eloquently illustrated, I'm very, very, very excited to finally get this working. And yes, we really did switch website hosts to get this working. We had a few other reasons too, but this was the catalyst.

I must have tried everything yesterday. WIth our previous host, we had a really gimpy database. One that didn't work. At all. Now we have a niiiiice database. Complete with WORKING bits. And after I spent my day today configuring... and configuring... and configuring some more, I now have a working blog that I set up ALL BY MYSELF THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Schondy says he'll post here. Somehow I doubt it, but I could be wrong. He's certainly suprised me before. I told him he could have his own blog. But I think he'd almost rather just use mine. Ah. Marriage. In sickness, health, and blogging.

Heeeee! I rule!

Score! Two days, a gajillion files and one very bad neck cramp later, I DID IT! Almost all by myself, even. And we got a new website host out of the deal. Now that's what I call success.

I am woman. Hear me roar.

POWERED BY Movable Type

Who Links To Me

Weather Report